Monday 6 August 2012

The Key to Success is Being Different

Pardon for being a little busy lately, and I was working on a new Silverlight project, and also another possible project. Nothing is confirmed at this point, so its better not to say too much first. I recently been asked a lot about 1 question (in many variations ofcos), "Why do you want to do Silverlight & WPF? Isn't it very challenging to do in Singapore?"

You see, there is a reason why I have chosen to specialized in Silverlight and WPF. Yes, it is a fact and reality that for most Asians, many of us have grown up being taught to be afraid of change, and its always best to stick to what we are comfortable. Stay within the safe zone, and you will never be disappointed if something doesn't work out the way you expect it. For many of us, we have grown up being so customized to living and reaching within our own comfort zone, so much so that we have grown lazy to stretching ourselves.

But that is not how I want my life or my business to be eventually. I do not want to live in the same pattern for the next 50, 60 years of my life. I like to believe that I will live a long and prosperous life. And even if that doesn't happen, I want to be sure of 1 thing, and that is I will have a great and fruitful life!

And in terms of business, I want to stop following the mainstream. I do not want to keep fighting and struggling with everyone else for a slice of the Pie. I want an entire Pie, or at least a large portion of it. I want to leverage on the fear of change, the fear of unknown that many Asian people have, and turn it into my advantage. I love change, and I welcome the un-expected. Because I have learnt that with the un-expected, it helps us to grow, and also trains us to become more resourceful, efficient problem solvers. It keeps us on the toes.

And after being a professional web developer for almost a decade, I've come to understand that its very challenging for a software house here in Singapore to suddenly switch technology. 90 - 95% of the industry is already with web-driven consultation service. Why should I even bother to go fight for the remaining 5% of the market, when for Silverlight and WPF, I probably can have the entire 85% - 95% market!

In this day and age, we no longer need to be as hard working as others, we do not need to invent something from scratch. Everything is already there prepared for us. We have all the tools, and resources we need. We just need to work smart and be innovative. We need to DARE TO BE DIFFERENT.

If you want to succeed in your country, or city, wherever you are, take my advice. Be Different. Just like a fish who decides to swim upstream, so he can find better, fresh water, and he can have the entire lake at the top, rather than compete for space with the rest at the bottom. Sometimes, the path with the greatest resistance, is your only assurance that you are on the right path. Trust your gut, no matter what your friends, your family, your ex-colleagues, your teachers tell you. You live for yourself. Take ownership, take responsibility. Go live your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment